What opportunities does eDNA pose to species detection? What problems can it solve?
- With a drop of water or a speck of dust, detect species earlier to allow for more effective and efficient management.
- Increase sensitivity of monitoring by detecting species at lower abundances and in areas that limit traditional methods
- Increase ability to detect species that are by nature difficult to detect e.g. shy or cryptic species
- Detect any life-stage of a species
- Reduce costs of detection and monitoring of native species (e.g. no special permits or highly trained people are required for sampling)
- Sample for species in rain, hail or shine!
How can EnviroDNA help?
Backed by leading science, EnviroDNA has developed eDNA technologies for not only identifying specific species but also for evaluating total biodiversity from aquatic samples and terrestrial samples. Biodiversity assessments, also known as eDNA metabarcoding, allow all species that have left their DNA signature or ‘fingerprint’ within their environment (e.g. via skin cells) to be determined. EnviroDNA uses eDNA to simplify the species detection process. We can help you identify a single species of interest or take a multispecies identification approach.
Species detection is critical for the management of native and threatened species, biodiversity, invasive species and biosecurity. We would love to discuss how we can help you apply eDNA within these areas and beyond, so please don't hesitate to get in contact.